“I love doing SEO. The reason why I haven’t gone to the path of building a full agency [and stayed] small, doing SEO consultancy [is] because I actually enjoy doing SEO. For me, being able to share what I have found to be useful is a great opportunity for me to give back to the community and keep doing something that I love.”
Getting work done – all while traveling and speaking at plenty of SEO conferences – is something Aleyda Solis has mastered over the years.
As one of the most sought-after speakers for SEO conferences all over the globe, she proves that one can be highly productive despite working remotely.
While she enjoys her location independence, Aleyda highlights the importance of discipline, prioritization, and flexibility in order to manage everything right.
Aside from imparting what she knows, she takes each conference she attends as an “opportunity to socialize, to network, to learn from all those, to exchange ideas, and to talk a little bit shop with other SEOs.”
Aleyda’s dedication to sharing her knowledge with the SEO community is admirable and inspiring. It’s something more of us in the industry should definitely hear and learn about.
About Aleyda Solis
Aleyda Solis is an international SEO consultant and founder of Orainti.
She’s also co-founder of remoters.net, a remote work resources site, and the host of Crawling Mondays by Aleyda, which you can find on YouTube.
She has been in the industry since 2007. In the past, she managed international SEO projects for Seer Interactive, among others.
On top of contributing to Search Engine Journal, Moz, and Search Engine Land, Aleyda is probably best known for her prolific speaking schedule (participating to more than 100 conferences in 20 countries).
She’s spoken at Pubcon, BrightonSEO, Inbound, Search Love, MozCon, SMX, and many more.
In 2018, Aleyda was also named the European Search Personality of the Year – an award she deserves for her notable experience in working in competitive SEO industries globally and significant contribution to the SEO community.
In today’s edition of Better Know an SEO Pro, I will be talking to Aleyda Solis on how she approaches international SEO and her secret to staying productive despite her hectic traveling and speaking schedule.
- Aleyda shares how she gets work done while traveling and speaking in so many conferences. [3:17]
- Time management tips that worked for Aleyda. [11:00]
- The biggest challenges Aleyda faced while working remotely. [14:06]
- SEonthebeach, held in La Manga, Murcia, Spain, is an SEO conference close to her heart. [17:08]
- What is Aleyda’s biggest motivation for doing so many conferences? [19:37]
- Here’s how many airline miles Aleyda has accumulated from her travels. [20:41]
- Aleyda talks about what being named the European Search Personality of the Year in 2018 meant to her. [22:59]
- On the moments leading up to the announcement of the European Search Personality of the Year. [26:11]
- Winning the award is a career highlight for Aleyda. [27:48]
- Aleyda looks back at how she started her career as a front-end web developer, what led her to get into SEO, and how she learned in the early days. [28:54]
- The pros and cons of being a niche expert and why you need to balance it out. [33:30]
- How did Aleyda end up starting her own company after years of working at an agency and in-house? [36:57]
- Aleyda shares her biggest struggle at the beginning as she went solo. [41:21]
- How she sets expectations for clients and internal stakeholders. [44:11]
- On the future of international SEOs in relation to translation and optimization. [52:52]
- Aleyda touches on the low-impact SEO tactics she feels the community spends too much time stressing about. [57:33]
- She tries to stay positive and put things into perspective whenever she encounters challenges in her career or when things don’t go as expected. [1:02:21]
- Why Aleyda came up with Crawling Mondays and what people can learn by checking it out on YouTube. [1:07:03]
- How Aleyda stays current with all things SEO. [1:09:47]
- Aleyda dishes out her core tool kit for doing SEO. [1:12:19]
- If she could go back in time and give her younger self advice, Aleyda would tell herself to enjoy more and don’t stress so much. [1:19:33]
- Aleyda would be a web designer or front-end web developer if she wasn’t in SEO or marketing. [1:20:37]
- “Always validate.” This is what Aleyda considers as the best piece of SEO learning she’s had. [1:23:08]
- The worst piece of SEO advice she’s heard. [1:27:08]
- Aleyda’s tips for industry newcomers who want to achieve sustainable success in SEO. [1:28:52]
- Progressive web apps are among the things she’s most excited about SEO right now. [1:33:24]
- On the future of popularity and demand for SEO services. [1:34:50]
- Aleyda’s best international SEO tip for this year. [1:46:38]
- What’s next for Aleyda Solis? [1:48:46]
Links from the Episode
How to connect with Aleyda Solis:
Twitter | LinkedIn | Orainti
To listen to this Search Engine Show: Better Know an SEO Pro Podcast with Aleyda Solis:
Visit our podcast archive to listen to other Search Engine Journal Show podcasts!
Featured Image: Paulo Bobita